Public Service Campaigns
2014 Call for Entries will open in June.
The Media Orthopaedic Reporting Excellence (MORE) Awards — created by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) — recognizes and honors efforts by journalists that further the public’s understanding of musculoskeletal health issues and encourages healthy behaviors in the care of bones and joints.
MORE Awards will be given to media across six categories:
- National Print Journalism
- Local Print Journalism
- National Broadcast Journalism
- Local Broadcast Journalism
- Web-specific Journalism
- Advocacy Journalism
* The Advocacy category will accept entries that recognize excellence in reporting musculoskeletal health programs at the federal, state and local levels as well as emphasizing the importance of research funding for the advancement of orthopaedics.
To qualify for a MORE Award all entrants must be journalists or freelance writers/editors/producers in either print, broadcast or online journalism. Entries must have either been published or broadcast between October 1, 2012 and October 1, 2013.
*All entries must be written for a CONSUMER audience.
All entries should be submitted online, but if you have trouble with the entry process, please contact Kelly King at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entries must be received on or before 5pm CST on Monday, October 14, 2013. (Entry period is now closed)
Judging Criteria and Timing
Each entry for the MORE Awards will be evaluated by a panel of orthopaedic surgeons based on the following criteria:
- Accurately report on new trends, procedures, technologies or news as they relate to orthopaedics or the musculoskeletal system – bones and joints;
- Medical and technical accuracy and completeness;
- Clarity and style; and
- Original and creative concept
All winners will be notified in January 2014. Winners will receive their award at the Academy’s National Orthopaedic Leadership Conference in Washington, DC, in May 2014.
Watch last year’s Awards ceremony featuring media from USA Today, Huffington Post, Ladies Home Journal, Sports Illustrated and so many other distinguished journalists:
*2013 Awards ceremony coming soon
View the stories of 2012 MORE Award winners.
Retention of Entries
All entries become the property of AAOS and will not be returned.