Merline Love refused to backpedal.
A severe injury in a pickup game left Merline facing a possible amputation. Through her own determination — and a resourceful orthopaedic surgeon — she’s back to full speed. Way to fight back, Merline.
Read Merline’s story and find your own inspiration at ANationInMotion.org.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) are working together to educate adults and children on the importance of sports injury prevention and treatment.
Fight for Your Mobility! Learn how to prevent sports-related injuries:
- Before participating in a new physical activity program, schedule an appointment with your physician to make sure you are healthy enough for activity.
- Warm up and cool down properly before and after an activity.
- Obtain instruction on proper training and technique.
- Increase training gradually.
- Check equipment regularly for proper fit and maintenance.
- Drink water regularly throughout any physical activity.
- If an injury occurs, rest and be sure to speak with a qualified sports medicine orthopaedic surgeon.
For more sports injury prevention tips, visit orthoinfo.org, sportsmed.org and stopsportsinjuries.org.
Download Press-Ready PDFs:
Download High-Resolution JPG: